Exodus 20:2 “I am the Lord your God ….”
Think of what it means to have God as your Lord.
1. It means that you have a rock on which to place your feet when times of darkness come. Trials and tribulations can take many forms. It may be an attack on your good name, or your liberty or your possessions or your health. But if God is your Lord your name is written in the Book of Life, your conscience is free and unchained, your possessions may be gone but you still have treasure in Heaven and as the storms come upon you God becomes a refuge, a safe haven.
2. It means that your soul is safe. Your soul is your greatest jewel. It is that central part of you that makes you a reasonable, thinking and worshipping creature. It is that part of you that is made alive when you became a Christian and enables you to connect with God. Even death cannot touch your soul. Somebody once wrote: “The soul is the pearl and heaven is the cabinet where God will lock it up safe.”
3. It means that you have access through prayer to all that God has for you. His wisdom, His power, His mercy – are all yours. You are never without hope, if God is your Lord.
4. If God is your Lord He will always love you entirely. He cannot be our God and not love us. He has given us Himself through Jesus Christ our Lord. God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself (2 Corinthians 5:19). When you received Christ as your Saviour, you received God as your Father. God may use circumstances to refine us but He will never withdraw His love from us. He will give us peace in times of trouble. He will give us the hope of an eternal Kingdom. To love you entirely means that His love is with you in all its greatness, through all your life whatever may happen.
5. God will bear with us in all our weaknesses. He forgives our sin and overrules our mistakes. Even the disciples at one time all failed. But they were all restored. Christ was still their Saviour and God was still their Father. God will be our God forever and will be sure to take us to be with Him for all eternity.
Prayer: O God. How great is your love for us. How true your Word is when it says: “…….blessed are the people whose God is the Lord” (Psalm 104:15). Amen